Vegan Bloody Cupcakes
Yield: 18 Cupcakes Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Cooling Time: 10 Minutes
Decorating Time: 15 Minutes
Full Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Cupcakes so fluffy and delicious, you can't have just one!
For the Cupcake batter:
- 1 & 1/2 cups unsweetened oat milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or cake flour)
- 1 & 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Black food coloring (3-5 drops)
For the Black icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Black food coloring (2-3 drops)
- Sandwich bag or piping bag with piping tip
For the Red icing ("blood"):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons oat milk
- Red food coloring (2-3 drops)
1. Start by preheating your oven to 350° F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a bowl, combine soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. In the same bowl, pour in the curdled milk mixture, canola oil and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Stir in your black food coloring, about 3 drops and up to 5 drops.
5. Fill the liners in the muffin pan about 3/4 full and baking for 20-25 minutes. You will know they are ready when they have risen and when a toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for about 10 minutes before you start decorating.
6. While the muffins are cooking make your black icing by combining the powdered sugar, butter, vegetable shortening and black food coloring in a bowl. Use this icing to fill a sandwich bag or piping bag for decoration. Make your red icing in a separate bowl by combining powdered sugar, oat milk and red food coloring.
7. When the cupcakes have cooled, cut out the center of the muffin about halfway down. Fill with red icing, and finish by piping with black icing, and optionally topping with red sprinkles.
Share your creation on Instagram and tag @marinatedvegan #marinatedvegan