Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Chill Time: 3 Hours
Full Time: 3 Hours 30 Minutes
Soft and creamy mozzarella. Perfect for salads, pizza and so much more!
- 1 cup raw cashews, softened
- 1 1/4 cup vegan yogurt
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk, I used oat milk
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 1/2 tapioca starch/flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons agar agar powder
1. Soak cashews for at least 3 hours or overnight. Alternatively, you can boil the cashews for about 15 minutes to quicken the process.
2. For the brine: in a medium sized bowl, add ice cubes, salt and water. Set aside.
3. To a blender, add soaked cashews (drained), yogurt, plant-based milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, tapioca starch, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend on high power until completely smooth.
4. In a medium pot, add 1/2 cup of water and heat over medium-high heat. When it begins to boil, add agar agar powder and whisk thoroughly. Once it begins it's a gel-like consistency, add the cheese mixture and mix well. Stir frequently to avoid the mixture from burning. After about 5 minutes, the mixture will become very thick and stretchy. Remove from heat.
5. Using an ice cream scooper, spoon the mixture and place into the ice-water brine. Repeat until the mixture is done.
6. Place the brine/mozzarella in the fridge, covered, for 2-3 hours to chill. It will harden as it cools.
Share your creation on Instagram and tag @marinatedvegan #marinatedvegan