Vegan Pumpkin Roll
Updated: Oct 14, 2021
Yield: 10 Slices Prep Time: 25 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Chilling Time: 2 Hours
Full Time: 2 Hours 40 Minutes
This delicious dessert is sure to be a bit hit at your holiday dinners!
For the batter:
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
For the cream-cheese icing:
- 4 tablespoons Vegan Butter at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable Shortening
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tablespoons of Non-Dairy Milk (I prefer Oat Milk)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Be sure that there is a overhang for easy removal of the roll after baking.
2. In a large bowl, combine well using a whisk or spoon: pumpkin puree, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
3. To the same bowl add: flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt. Stir until just combined, be sure not to overmix.
4. Pour the batter into the pan. Spread the batter evenly using a spatula. Bake for 15 minutes. To be sure its cooked thoroughly, slide a toothpick into the center of the pumpkin cake, if it comes out clean it's ready.
5. Remove from the oven. On a large surface, lay out paper towel and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar. Flip the cake from the pan to the towel in one swift movement.
6. Peel off the parchment paper carefully and slowly. Once removed, use the paper towel to roll the cake up. Roll from the short end of the cake. View video below for reference.
7. Let the cake cool completely about 2-3 hours. You can refrigerate cake for a quicker cooling time.
8. In a medium bowl beat the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vegetable shortening, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the non-dairy milk if the frosting is too thick.
9. Once the cake is cooled completely, unroll and spread frosting evenly on the cake.
10. Re-roll the cake, this time without the towel. Tightly wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator.
11. When ready to serve, unwrap the pumpkin roll, slice and transfer to a serving dish. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Share your creation on Instagram and tag @marinatedvegan #marinatedvegan